We’re Hiring a Content Editor!
Do you love working with artists? Do you view editing as an exciting creative endeavor? You might be a perfect addition to the HowlRound team! We are seeking a second part-time, remote content editor.
The content editor evaluates content submissions and commissions for HowlRound in collaboration with HowlRound staff, works with HowlRound contributors on revisions to Journal pieces, and carries out related editorial tasks. This role must routinely meet tight deadlines for publication of articles. The HowlRound content editor must be able to edit (structural, stylistic, and copy), do minor fact-checking, and proof copy according to Chicago Manual and established style guidelines, as well as to engage in deeper values-driven conversations with contributors and team members.
Our editorial philosophy at HowlRound is that editing is a collaborative creative practice. We value and practice style consistency, but our first priority is to facilitate a conversation with and for theatremakers inclined toward a more just and sustainable contemporary theatre.
The content editor will report to the communications manager and work closely with the current content editor.
The content editor will
- review and evaluate content submissions at a weekly full HowlRound team editorial meeting,
- participate in weekly check-in meetings with the editorial team to track content progress,
- usher accepted Journal articles through the editing process, including editing content for grammar, style, and structure; working closely with contributors to ensure their ideas are shared clearly and that their voices are fully represented; communicating iterative feedback to help shape the pieces to fit HowlRound's editorial frame; and readying final drafts for publication,
- edit podcast transcripts for style and accuracy,
- edit HowlRound TV announcements, static pages on HowlRound.com, and other communications for style, grammar, and clarity,
- work with the team to publish multiple pieces of content on HowlRound.com per week, including three to five essays, one to two podcasts, and a variable number of HowlRound TV announcements.
This is a part-time, independent contractor position open to anyone across the globe, as long as you can be available for calls between 9 am and 5 pm EST. Outside of regularly-scheduled meetings, this job allows for a flexible working schedule and setting your own hours.
Hours of work will vary week to week depending on the volume of content, but we can guarantee a minimum of fifteen hours a week and a maximum of twenty. Ideal candidates will be able to make a yearlong commitment, beginning in early September.
- Professional editing experience, including experience editing to a style guide
- Project management experience
- Demonstrated experience communicating with diverse stakeholders and working one-on-one with artists
- Ability to virtually attend four hours of weekly meetings between 9am and 5pm EST
- Demonstrated commitment to theatre and the arts
- Demonstrated alignment with HowlRound’s core values
- Familiarity with Google Suite, Zoom, Basecamp or similar project management software
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style or demonstrated ability to quickly learn and edit to a style guide
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures, ability, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and race
- Commitment to self-reflection, awareness, and analysis.
- Working knowledge of the contemporary US nonprofit theatre landscape
- Previous knowledge of and engagement with HowlRound preferred
- Knowledge of the contemporary international theatre landscape preferred
Please send a resume and cover letter (which will serve as a writing sample) detailing your relevant experience and why you’re interested in this role to Ramona Rose King, HowlRound Communications Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm EST on 25 June 2023.